The Ten Pillars of a Good Childhood
The Ten Pillars of a Good Childhood were developed as guidance, a starting point that can be used to consider what a good childhood looks like today. Please use these pillars for your engagement with this decade.
- Safe and secure places for living and learning, with access to health care, clothing, and nutritious food
- Strong families and loving, consistent caregivers
- Social interactions and friendships
- Creative play and physical activity
- Appreciation and stewardship of the natural environment
- Creative expression through music, dance, drama, and the other arts
- Education that develops the full capacities of the child—cognitive, physical, social, emotional, and ethical
- Supportive, nurturing, child-friendly communities
- Growing independence and decision making
- Children and youth participating in community life.
Click here to read Ten Pillars of a Good Childhood: A Finnish Perspective by Lea Pulkkinen, University of Jyväskylä, Finland